Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Capture Reflection 8

It has been really intresting watching the other students teach. Some lectures have been really boring and I almost fell asleep. There are definately a few things I will try to never do. I agree with Dr. Wright powerpoint presentations are less effective when all they have is words on them. It is so much more intresting when there are pictures and the teacher explains the pictures. Also presenting information is not signigificant unless it applies to the people who are watching the presentation. I think as a teacher it is important to apply the subject to the students. When I saw how the subject applied to me and my situation it was much easier to pay attention.
I also agree with Dr. Wright about the importants of activities. Dr. Wright said that it is important to be a teacher not just a presenter. He wanted us to practice the different learning philosopies and to try out different techniques. The students should learn not just be exposed to information. What fosters learning? Thought! What can teachers do to help students think? I think one thing teachers can do is to ask questions. I loved having group discussions. Another things a teacher can do is talk about things, as I mentioned before, that already intrest the students. I was going to present on Earthquake technologies and as another students was presenting it was easier to pay attention because I kept thinking about how earthquakes would effect the technologies he was talking about. It is important to make the link. I think teachers can help link the subject to something that intrest students. I had an english teacher in highschool that related every topic to something in pop culture. Maybe the students won't get what you expected out of the lesson but they may learn something more valuable. But atleast they won't be asleep.
I really liked the lessons about communication technologies. I think that was easy to relate to, everybody talks. The power lectures where some of the most boring. I think that if I thought more about application it would have been more intresting to me. I also liked talking about ethical issues. Those discussions fostered talking and thinking about application.
Activites were most effective when we understood the purpose of the activity and made the connection between the activity and the lesson. The best activites were those that communicated knowledge without having to have the teacher explain. Like is says in John7:17 if we will do it, we can know it. Hearing alone isn't enough. .

No comments:

Post a Comment