Thursday, November 4, 2010

Reflection Capture 9

We enjoyed the last 2 days of STL teaching. I presented on Earthquake technologies on Tuesday. I started with an internet research activity. Students broke up into groups and researched the Jan 2010 Earthquake. Then we discussed earthquakes, mercalli's scale of intensity, and the impact of earthquakes on buildings. The students broke up into groups where they discussed how an earthquake would effect buildings with poor siesmic designs: too many large windows, complex geometry, etc.  Dr. Wright and the class provided me with feedback. One student said that I gesticulate too much when I teach and she found it distraction. Dr. Wright mentioned that part of my powerpoint was distracting because I had a picture of a dinosaur in there, just for fun. He said that he wanted me to write new taxonomy on the board. Another way I could have improved was to set up the activities better. I should have organized the students into groups for the Internet research activity.
Some feedback that he gave students today was to focus on eye contact. It's helps to engage the students and we are teaching students not material. The missionaries at the MTC often mention that. They really like it when teachers make eye contact with them when they teach. Doctor wright also recommended more fully utalizing resorces. If you write somethign on the board take the time to go through it. This suggestion makes me think that I try to pack too much into the lesson. I tend to rush through things and we don't get as much as we could out of each activity. THis would help me set up activities better and focus more on the purpose of each activity.
Another way to improve teaching is to  assess during the demo. Check for understanding along the way of explaining the process. Ask questions right after explaining step one, then step two, step three etc.
One last point that Dr Wright said was important was to hit the "why"! Why are we learning this? Tell the students why we are teaching it and why they should learn it. I think this applies to what I talked about in Capture 8. If students see how the topic relates to something they are intrested in they are more likely to pay attention and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment