Thursday, October 7, 2010

Capture Reflection 5

I LOVE PERSONALITY PROFILING!!! During class we reviewed these different personality types and how to get along with others who have different personality types. I was really excited to read the analysis of the personality test. One of my favorite books is called Possitve Personality Profiling and it is a very similar philosphy. There are 4 classifications for personalitiy types: dominate, amiable, expressive, analytical. Every person is a combination of the 4 types. Usually there is a most prominate type. According to the evaluation I see myself as an amiable/analytical. Others see me as an expressive/analytical. And in the work place I am amiable analytical. Amiable is defined as low-assertive and high-reponsive. They are sensitve to other peoples feelings show concern for others and sensitive to space.  They are rule keepers and avoid conflict. In some situations it is probably better to me more assertive. Some suggestions for being more assertive were: give more instruction instead of waiting for instruction, express my opinion, it's okay to take risks. Be willing to disagree. Take and independant stand. There were some suggestions for decreasing responsiveness: Control what you say about feelings and relationships, accept challenges, look at the big picture and know everything doesn't have to be perfect, adopt a professional attitude, focus less on friends and more on tasks. There were also suggestions to increase responsiveness, because despending on the situation increasing or decreasing responsiveness could be appropriete. For increasing responsiveness ask questions, be intrested in the people around you, be sincere, share negative feelings, give listening reponse by noding my head and summarizing what there person is saying.
I need to remember when I am interacting with someone who is dominate that they are not trying to hurt my feelings. I can strive to make faster decisions, and focus on the big picture instead of details. When working with another amiable person I can try and help bring out their ideas by asking what they think. I think it is really valuable to consider who we can improve our communicating ability. In my family there are many differnt personality types. My brother and sister are both strongly, strongly dominate/expressive, and my oldest brother is analytical/dominate, my sister is amiable/ analytical. Sometimes it is hard for my sister not to get her feelings hurt in the middle of the all the dominate people. It is important to frame this situation in a possitive way so that one does not get thier feelings hurt.    

No comments:

Post a Comment