Thursday, September 30, 2010

Capture/Reflection 4

This has been an interesting week for me because as I read through the TEE literacy standards I've been doubting if I want to be a TEE teacher not because I don't like the standard. I think it is really important to be objective driven. But, I think I would prefer to teach other subjects like Math or English and infuse the curriculum with technology ed. As I read through the standard I had the distinct thought: this could be the most boring class in the world if it is not taught correctly. I guess that is where creativity comes into play as a teacher. There is so much I want to teach but we can't teach to much. It's never a good thing to try and teach too much. The student will get overwhelmed.
   From the Technology content standards we discussed how the goals of what we teach should include: understanding the scope of technology, the core concepts of technology, and the connection between technology and other fields.
I thought it would be interesting to have the class watch and episode of Man v. Wild and identify the ways in which Bear Grylls uses creates "technology to meet his needs." We could identity those things that fall into the core concepts of technology: systems, resources, requirements, optimization, trade-offs, processes, and controls. The examples we find with be fast and simple and something that students will be able to get excited about. We could then discuss how technology shapes society and how society shapes technology.
    We could journal about modern technology the role it plays in our lives. The students could think about how medical technology, agricultural technology, power technology, information and communication technology, transportation technology, manufacturing technology, as well as construction technologies applies to them. For instance the students could write journals reasons they are glad to have their cell phone, a recent time they used it, a letter to their parents explaining why they need one or why they need an upgraded one. This would help them see how these different technologies apply to them in their lives.
   We will study the influence of technology on society. We could look at it from a historical perspective and from an enviornmental perspective. THERE ARE SO MANY FACETS OF TECHNOLOGY!!
We also would explore the design process an engage in many wonderful and fun designing projects.
When I think about it there is so many wonderful parts of this major and I like the freedom to explore all of these options and not be set to a standardized curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment